Cooking with Cannabis: How to Make Cannabutter
If you’ve been considering making your own cannabutter, you’ve come to the right place!
Cannabutter is just what you think it is. Regular butter that has been infused with your favorite strain of cannabis. The great thing about making your cannabutter is that you can then use it to turn your favorite recipes into delicious cannabis treats!
Let’s take a look at what cannabutter is, how to make cannabutter, the correct cannabis to butter ratio, and some of the delicious things you can make with your homemade cannabutter!
What Is Cannabutter?
Cannabutter is a combination of regular butter and cannabis. Cannabutter can be used as a substitution for regular butter in a variety of different recipes. For example, you could turn regular chocolate brownies into deliciously potent cannabis brownies! You can make your cannabutter in advance, and whenever you get the hankering for a sneaky pot cookie or brownie, you’ll be ready to whip up a bunch!
How To Make Cannabutter
Step One – Decarboxylation
Decarboxylation is the process of heating your cannabis to allow the cannabinoids such as CBD and THC to activate. It will also allow the lipids in the butter to bind with your cannabis more effectively.
What You Will Need:
- ½ an ounce of cannabis.
- Grinder, scissors, or knife.
- Oven baking dish and oven.
What to Do:
- Preheat your oven to approximately 220°F.
- Grind up or break apart your cannabis until it’s at the same consistency you would use to roll a joint.
- Place the cannabis evenly on the oven tray and bake for between 30-60 minutes, depending on how dry your cannabis is.
- Check it every ten minutes and mix it around. Make sure it’s not burning. Your cannabis should change from bright green to dark green.
Step Two – Stovetop Infusion
What You Will Need:
- 1 ½ Cups of Water
- 8 Ounces of Clarified or Melted Butter
- ½ Ounce of Decarboxylated Cannabis
- Medium Saucepan
- Cheesecloth for Straining
What To Do:
- Over low heat, combine your water and butter.
- When the butter has melted, combine your decarboxylated cannabis and mix well, then cover.
- Let your mixture simmer for approximately 4 hours while stirring every 30-minutes. Use your thermometer to ensure that the mixture doesn’t exceed 180°F.
- After 4 hours, pour the mixture through the strainer or cheesecloth and into a new container. Allow it to cool to room temperature. Then, store it in the refrigerator or freezer.
What Is the Correct Cannabis to Butter Ratio?
Most people that make cannabutter do it at a ratio of 1:1. However, when you’re just getting started, the recipe above is a great way to make a mild cannabutter that isn’t going to knock your head off in every recipe you make. Always test a small amount of the cannabutter once it has been made to determine exactly how strong it is. The last thing you want to do is make a batch of cannabis cookies and overindulge! Read a few of our helpful tips on consuming cannabis edibles here.
What Can You Make with Cannabutter?
The list of recipes you can make with cannabutter is extremely long. Pretty much any recipe which uses butter could be switched to a cannabutter recipe to make delicious and potent edibles.
Some of the most popular cannabutter recipes include:
- Delicious Cannabutter Banana Bread
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Baked Chicken with Cannabutter
- Brownies – Any Kind!
- Cookies – Any Kind!
- No-Bake Cheesecake
- Cannabutter Fudge
The list of things you can make with cannabutter could go on forever! However, the more you avoid exposing the cannabutter to excessive heat, the more potent it will stay. So no-bake or low-heat recipes are a great choice.
Show Us What You Made with Your Homemade Cannabutter
There you go! Everything you ever wanted to know about cooking with cannabis and creating your own delicious and potent cannabutter. Now you know how to make cannabutter. In addition, you’ll be able to use it as a base ingredient for various other cannabis-inspired dishes you’ll be sure to fall in love with!
If you have any questions about making your own cannabutter, then don’t hesitate to reach out and contact us directly. Our friendly and professional team is standing by and always happy to attempt to answer any cooking with cannabis questions!
Show us what you made with your cannabutter! Follow & Tag @ShopHarborside!
Get started with Harborside's Award Winning Flower
Explore Harborside’s award winning flower to get started with this beginner-friendly cannabutter recipe.